Sunday, April 10, 2016

Spiced Banana Bread and Chai Tea


How do you explain mood swings? All I know is I was numb for two months, leaving kitchen activities and forget my camera. Then in a sudden, a passion rush back in my bloodstream. All I remember is yesterday I went to supermarket, grabbed this and that with head full of any kinds of recipes I wanted to try. Today, I woke up early and started baking and cooking. Before noon, I finished making and taking photographs of Banana Cake, Brineboin Soup, Tahwa (Indonesian silk tofu pudding with ginger sauce) and Chai Tea. And in this cloudy night I sit in front of my laptop to write about this after edit the pictures in my phone.

Why Chai Tea?


Remake from Asri's picture

I guess because spices. Its smell and taste never cease to amaze me, and I just want to dive in its exotic rich taste to bring back my mood, to relieve my stress. And secondly, mostly because Chai Tea always remind me of Bune, one of my all time idol turn to best friend. Her Chai Tea pictures were lingered in my mind for so long, long before I fell in love in Food Photography and know her personally. And this is why I remake her Chai Tea recipe and pictures to celebrate her art works and friendship we have. We love you Bune *smooch*!

Chai Tea
Source: Asrie Rie

Ingredients:
325 ml water
100 ml fresh milk
75 ml evaporated milk
2 sachet black tea
5 cardamoms (should be green cardamom, but I have none, so I used white cardamom)
2 tsp fennel seed (skipped)
5 cloves
5 cm ginger, bruised
3 cm cinnamon
1,5 star anise
Brown sugar


second remake

Directions:
Stir the water, tea, ginger and spices in a saucepan over medium heat, then bring to the boil. Add milk and evaporated milk, stir and bring until simmer. Pour in two glasses, add brown sugar as desired.

Spiced Banana Bread
This recipe is a keeper, it has moist texture and deep flavor of banana. A bit longer to make than other recipes because it needs mixer, but hey eggs beating always result a fluffier texture, rite? The original recipe doesn’t use any spices powder and use chocolate chips as filling. But as a queen of kitchen, we are free to play our imagination and use any kind of ingredients we have in cupboard. Long live for us!!!

Tweaked a bit from Julie Hesson’s recipe.


Ingredients:
350 gr all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp all spices powder
½ tsp cinnamon powder
¼ tsp salt
225 ml vegetable oil
150 gr brown sugar + 50 gr caster sugar
4 eggs
450 gr mashed banana
1 tsp vanilla extract
100 gr chopped walnut
50 gr raisins

Directions:
Pre heat oven to 170 C. Sift flour, baking powder, all spices and cinnamon powder in a bowl, add salt. Meanwhile, whisk sugar and oil until sugar is dissolved, then gradually add eggs until thick and fluffy.
Add mashed banana and vanilla extract, mix thoroughly. Carefully fold flour mixture into the batter, then add walnut and raisins, mix.
Spoon into 24 cm diameter bundt pan, and bake until it springs back when lightly pressed (about 60 minutes). Cool completely in tin.
Enjoy a perfect afternoon with Banana Cake and Chai Tea..



No comments:

Post a Comment