Chilli Con Carne


I have to admit that I have no experience in Mexican food, though I am a big aficionado of it. The first encounter to any Mexican stuffs is telenovela, for which I used to watch in my tv like twenty years ago. I knew Thalia’s telenovela more than Paramitha Rusady’s sinetron (a well known Indonesian artist, well at least 20 years ago). And talking about Mexican food, I never taste the authentic one. But nowadays, where we can find frozen Tortilla in the market or buy some cheap Churros and Quesadilla in a cafĂ©, Mexican food seems so familiar in our taste bud.

And I have to admit, agaaaaain, that this Chilli Con Carne isn’t authentic because I made it from Breneboin Soup leftover. Aha. Yes. I know what you’re thinking. Breneboin Soup has slightly Italian taste due to the addition of oregano (at least for the Breneboin Soup recipe I tried, though some people never add oregano on it). But, but here’s my apology: a dash of oregano would vanish when you add a wholesome of cumin, coriander, cinnamon and cardamom pods. Trust me, those exotic spices blend perfectly with minced beef, red kidney beans and tomatoes. I just can’t get enough of this spicy, sprightly and comforting food.

Breneboin Soup before turn into Chilli

Quick Chilli
Source: Nigella Lawson – Nigella Express

Ingredients:
250 gr minced beef
¼ tsp ground cumin
¼ tsp ground coriander
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
2 cardamom pods, bruised
250 gr tomato sauce (I used 250 gr chopped tomatoes)
200 gr can red kidney beans
30 ml sweet chilli sauce
¼ tsp chilli fakes

Instructions:
Cook minced beef for 5 minutes until brown. Stir in the spices and then add the tomato sauce, beans and chilli sauce. Add the chilli flakes if you need something kickin your taste bud.
Bring to the boil and then turn down the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.


Or in my case, Quicker Chilli (only if you have Breneboin Soup leftover):
Add chopped tomatoes to the soup, then cook until its broth almost dry. Add the spices, chilli sauce and chilli flakes, simmer for 20 minutes. Done!


For anyone who is not usual to this kind of food, here are some ways to enjoy Chilli Con Carne (thanks pinterest for the inspirations!)

serve hot with baked sweet potato
Tex Mex Faux: Chilli with Rice
Enjoy with Tortilla Chips
or... Chilli Wrapped Tortilla

Comments