Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Chicken Nawabi and Bukhari Rice




Whenever I lost my appetite, I turn into Arabian food or something resembles their food characteristics which use tons of spices (think about gulai and rendang). I don’t know why, but something about spices has attracted me so much. Their beautiful shapes and color, the exotic taste and warmth really kick my bud. No wonder, everytime we went to Arabian restaurant – Cairo restaurant here in Malang – I could clean my full plate of Kebuli rice with Roasted Lamb, a full jar of Chai Tea and 3 big sambosa. And for sure, let my husband dropped his jaw watching me ate those festive Arabian foods all by myself.

But then in the name of tight money policy, we can’t go to Cairo restaurant whenever we want. So the best thing I can do is back to the kitchen, grab some rice, chicken and spices and cook them. Lucky me, I already have Chicken Nawabi instant paste from my bestie once she came to my house last Eid Fitri (thanks granbun!!). So my job is only preparing the rice, as I chose Bukhari Rice because its ingredients are available in my pantry.


Anyway, if you are confused the difference among Briyani, Kebuli, Kabsah and Bukhari, here is my little note. Briyani used more spices than Kebuli and it’s always served with Lamb, it is mostly made in an important event or celebration. While Kebuli is lighter in taste and it’s cooked in everyday basis, just like white rice in Indonesia. Kabsah has a red color because use tomato paste as its main ingredients. While Bukhari, almost the same as Kebuli except the addition of milk and ginger.


Bukhari Rice
Source: Jejak Kuliner Arab di Pulau Jawa, based on the recipe collection of Rully F Alketerie family
Ingredients:

600 gr white rice
1 tbsp samin oil
10 cm cinnamon
3 star anise
4 cloves
2 cardamoms, bruised
2 onion, finely slice
6 garlic, finely chopped
4 cm ginger, bruised
600 ml water
200 ml fresh milk
1-2 tsp salt
100 gr raisins

Directions:
Rinse the rice then strained.
Heat the samin oil, fry the cinnamon, star anise, cloves and cardamoms for a couple of minutes until fragrant.
Add the onion sliced, chopped garlic and ginger, stir to fragrant.
Pour the water and milk, add the rice, sprinkle with salt, gently stir until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is halved cooked. Add the raisin, stir thoroughly.
Move the rice to steamer, steam until cooked.

Served with fried shallots and Chicken Nawabi to taste the touch of heaven in your tongue. This is seriously delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment