Chocolate Chiffon Cake




It was my first chiffon cake. And it was my very first experiment working with egg whites and castor sugar, beat them until stiff and glossy. And yes, it was also my first time trying folding technique. I remember that I was partially success in this chocolate chiffon cake, mine was under baked so it slipped from the chiffon pan. But I still remember the wonderful smell, chocolaty flavor, beautifully dark color and the moist texture. And since then, whenever I’m longing for choco chiffon cake, this recipe is the first thing comes into my mind.

This morning I intended to make a cake to my son’s teachers, as I never seen his enthusiasm in learning Arabic before. Then I remember that I was run out of margarine nor butter, so it doesn’t take a long time for me to finally choose this choco chiffon cake, because it only need vegetable oil as the fat. So, if I may count, this morning’s choco chiffon cake is my sixth choco chiffon cake using this reliable recipe from mba Riana (thanks for sharing this mba!).

Chocolate Chiffon Cake
Original Recipe by Primarasa, modified by Riana Ambarsari

Ingredients:
25 gr cocoa powder
88 ml hot water
A pich of salt
88 g plain flour
180 caster sugar
¼ tsp baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
45 ml vegetable oil
200 gr egg whites (from 5 eggs)
5 egg yolks
½ tsp vanilla extract


the hardest part about chiffon cake isn't folding nor beating whites, 
but to take off the cake from the pan!

Instruction:
1.      Pre heat oven at 170 degree Celcius. Prepare 22 cm chiffon pan. Dissolve cocoa powder and salt in hot water, whisk until smooth, set aside.
2.      Mix together: flour, 2 tbsp of caster sugar, baking soda and baking powder, mix well. Make a hole in the center, pour vegetable oil, egg yolks, chocolate mixture and vanilla into the hole. Whisk until smooth, set aside.
3.      Beat egg whites and caster sugar with electric mixer at medium speed until soft peak
4.      Using spatula, gently fold in egg whites to flour-egg batter until well blended.
5.      Pour the batter into pan, tap the pan 2-3 timer to let out any excessive bubbles. Bake for about 50-60 minutes (do the skewer test). Take out from oven, turn the pan upside down and let it cool in the position.
6.      Run a long knife along the side of the pan. Turn the cake onto a rack. Run the knife along the bottom of the pan, take off the bottom pan. Turn the cake onto a serving plate or cake board. Garnish as you like.


Comments